Installing & Extracting
- FUEL FILTER REMOVAL (NEW!)
- ROPE PACKING INSTALLATION(NEW!)
- IMPELLER REMOVAL (NEW!)
FUEL FILTER REMOVAL
To Change Fuel Filters:
- Water Separator Style FRAM Item # 0502
- The entire cartridge (black housing) unscrews. (Loosen bolt in head assembly first.)
- Take the cartridge out of the housing.
- Remove the O-ring from the head. (Top plate has a head gasket).
- Replace the O-ring and the cartridge (Not necessary, in most cases, to remove fuel line.
- Short Style FRAM Item # 0503
- Remove the bolt on top of the assembly.
- Bowl drops down.
- Replace filter and o-ring in the top plate
- Note: it may be necessary to disconnect the fuel line, if top housing must be turned completely upside down, for proper gasket removal and inspection.
- PCM/ Racor Spin On Item # 0505
- The O-ring stays on the filter unless it sticks to the housing. Much easier to service.
- Racor 110 Item # 0501
- Loosen Center Nut
- Spin off bowl
- Replace Filter
ROPE PACKING INSTALLATION
- Open the stuffing box.
- Remove the old packing completely.
- Check the new packing and make sure it’s the proper size.
- Check the condition of the shaft. Any burrs or sharp areas must be repaired prior to installation.
- Wrap packing around the shaft, wherever it’s easily accessible, and cut each ring. Or use a mandrel the same size as your shaft to cut rings.
- Install packing in the stuffing box one ring at a time, making sure that you stagger the joints approximately 90 degrees. It is essential that the ends of the rings meet cleanly at the joint. DO NOT ADD GREASE OR OTHER LUBRICANTS-THESE CAN HINDER PERFORMANCE.
- Tighten the packing gland until it is snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
- After about one to two hours of running time, check the stuffing box for leakage, and make a final adjustment to attain minimum leakage. (There should be virtually no leakage.)
- Loosen Belt.
- Mark pump orientation and remove pump.
- Remove bolts and pull front housing/shaft/ pulley from rear housing
- Use 2 screwdrivers to wedge out old impeller. Replace impeller and reassemble with new o-ring.
- Remove cover plate and screws.
- Use 2 screwdrivers/or puller to remove impeller.
- Push new impeller in while twisting, assemble cover with new gasket.
- Loosen belt, remove pulley and remove pump.
- Disassemble pump, leverage out impeller.
- Reassemble with new gaskets or later style o-ring.